PRODUCTS and SECTORS
MANUFACTURER OF PARTS IN COMPOSITE MATERIALS
A few years ago, GRANDO has also become also a specialized manufacturer of parts in composite materials.
This development has allowed our company to not only offer a wide range of polymer based products but also to offer a whole range of composite material with thermosetting, thermoplastic and elastomer matrices.
DEFINITION OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS
A composite material is an assembly of at least two non-mixable components that nevertheless have a strong capacity for mutual adhesion.
The new material thus created possesses properties that are superior to those of each of its components. A composite material typically consists of the following three components:
- A framework known as a reinforcement (generally based on short, long or continuous fibres) that provides the mechanical strength (resistance and rigidity) of the composite.
- A binder known as a matrix (generally a thermoplastic or a thermoset-based material) that provides the cohesion of the structure, transmits stresses to the reinforcement and protects the reinforcement from the environment.
- Additives and charges are generally added to improve certain properties of the material, such as UV resistance, conductivity, fire resistance, etc.
Advantages of composite materials
Thanks to their exceptional mechanical, electrical and thermal properties, composite materials offer undeniable advantages in many areas of application, where they replace traditional metals and other alloys thanks to a set of superior properties, including:
- Low density (lightness)
- High dielectric properties
- Considerable chemical resistance (corrosion)
- High specific resistance and rigidity
- Very good fatigue resistance (cyclic loading)
- Excellent self-extinguishability and low combustion fume toxicity
The manufacturing process of parts in composite material allows their properties to be adjusted by changing their design parameters, for example:
- Insulation or electrically-conductive
- Insulation or thermally-conductive
- Coefficient of thermal expansion
- Energy absorption (impact, acoustic) etc.